Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Faith - Rosh Hashanah Morning Sermon 5782

 



This has been a tough few weeks.  For months, we were pining for a vaccine.  It would be the end to all our troubles; and for a while it was.  It felt almost “normal” again.  But that feeling of optimism has ended.  With the rise of delta, many of us are worried about our kids; others nervous about the vaccine’s effectiveness.  If feels as if the doors have begun to close; as if we are stepping back into the darkness.  There is a lot of uncertainty, a lot of fear, and a lot unknown.

 

For millennia, when our ancestors felt those same feelings of worry, they would recite the words Ani Ma’amin.  “I believe.”  “I believe with perfect faith in the coming of the Messiah, and even though the Messiah might delay, nevertheless, I wait each and every day for the Messiah’s arrival.”

 

Faith.  For years, our ancestors had faith that the Messiah would bring peace and celebration after so many years of fear and sadness.  They possessed faith that tomorrow would be better than today; faith in something greater than themselves.

 

Our Torah and Haftarah readings on Rosh Hashanah describe individuals who have everything stacked against them, and still, even in their struggles, they possess faith that their dreams will come true.  Abraham and Sarah have faith that they will create a new religion.  Hagar and Ishmael have faith that they will survive the horrible ordeal in the wilderness.  Isaac has faith that a ram will appear, so that it and not he would be sacrificed to God.  Hannah has faith that after years of infertility, she too would become a parent.

 

Our ancestors possessed faith.  They believed.  They described this as faith in God who would provide them with the answer, with the gift, with the assurance that they could live a full and meaningful life.

 

I know that I’m taking a big risk here!  It’s one thing to talk about faith at a Shabbat service, but on Rosh Hashanah, to talk about God?  We don’t often talk about faith in Judaism.  Unlike Christianity or Islam, Judaism doesn’t require belief in a specific theology or divinity, in order to be a Jew.  I also know, from conversations with so many of you, that our congregation is filled with those who question God.  You might describe yourself as agnostic, atheist, or humanist.  I love our community’s willingness to question, to have difference of opinion, to address our beliefs in unique and diverse approaches. 

 

This morning, I’m not asking you to believe what I believe.  What I ask is that you have an open mind.  I ask that you reflect upon faith, however you define it.

 

In Hebrew, faith is translated as Emunah.  Emunah can mean many things.  It can mean faith, trust, or fidelity.  Throughout our Torah, there are numerous descriptions of faith in God.  In Exodus 14:31, we read: “Israel saw the work of Adonai upon the Egyptians, the people feared God, and believed in God…”  Emunah is translated here as belief.  During Biblical times, faith was a belief that God would provide miracles or other actions to help us during our time of need.


My belief is different.  Albert Einstein once taught, “There are two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as though everything is a miracle.”[i]  Or to put it differently, in our prayer book we poignantly read, “Pray as if everything depended on God.  Act as if everything depended on you.”[ii]  I recognize my power, my voice, my actions, but I also believe in miracles and in the divine.  I feel our world is limited when we focus solely on human power.  I must believe in something greater than myself, something that can comfort me, provide me strength, and help propel me and humanity forward.  I call that belief, God.

 

That is my belief.  My understanding of the world.  You might believe something completely different and that is wonderful.  I ask only this, whether you have a firm theology or if you question God or if you are an avowed atheist, please take time this holiday to reflect upon your belief. What is your faith?  What do you believe?  What provides you strength at this moment?

 

For all of us, are struggling.  This is a very difficult moment in all of our lives.  And I don’t know about you, but I am constantly questioning myself.  Everything these days is gray, there is no black and white.  I look at all of the decisions I need to make and I lack faith that I’ll find the right answer.

 

The question, I keep coming back to, and I’m sure you’ve asked it hundreds of times as well: “Am I doing the right thing?”  It’s become my mantra.  Should I go on that trip? Should I attend that funeral, that wedding, that birthday party?  Am I being a good parent?  Am I taking care of my family and friends?  Am I acting with kindness with compassion to those in need?  

 

Our tradition asks us to be faithful in our actions.  To have faith in ourselves.  Yet, how can we when we aren’t sure we are doing the right thing?  That’s why I urge you to be mindful of this famous commandment in our Torah: “love your neighbor as you love yourself.”  We often focus our energy on the first part, “Love your neighbor,” but it’s high time that we address the latter half, “love yourself.” 

 

We don’t have all the answers.  We will make mistakes.  We aren’t perfect.  That’s ok!  It’s time to focus on love, self-love.  This holiday, give yourself a break and love yourself, respect yourself, forgive yourself, and most importantly have faith in yourself. 

 

I’d like to return to that phrase, “Love your neighbor as you love yourself.”  Honestly, I’m having difficulty with the “love your neighbor” piece.  I have little faith in humanity at this moment. When so many of our fellow citizens don’t believe in science.  When others won’t take the vaccine or refuse to wear a mask; when it seems that our society is crumbling, growing ever further apart, it is excruciatingly difficult to have faith in humanity. 

 

I’m not sure I have the answer, but I turn to Margaret Mead who once famously said, “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”[iii]  That’s what provides my faith in humanity.  That a small group of us, here in our congregation, our allies in Baltimore, our Jewish community, and so many others, can join together and bring about a small spark that can transform our world. 


One way in Judaism that we show that faith in each other is through a little word, Amen.  Amen means “I agree” “May it be so.”  It’s connected to Emunah, faith.  It’s an acronym for El Melech Ne’aman, “God the Trustworthy King.”

 

Our tradition teaches that the person who answers Amen receives more reward than the person who recited the blessing in the first place.[iv]  Amen boosts the power of the statement.  Amen expresses a commitment to each other.  Amen means solidarity.  Amen is an affirmation of faith.

 

On this Rosh Hashanah, I ask for your Amens, your commitment, your affirmation, your solidarity:

This year, may we have faith in our personal power to make change.  Amen.

This year, may we have faith that we can fix the brokenness in our world.  Amen.

This year, may we have faith in the sacred.  Amen.

This year, may we have faith in ourselves, Amen.

This year, may we have faith that we can change the course of history.  Amen.

 

Long ago, our ancestors would recite the words Ani Maamin, I Believe, when they yearned for the Messiah’s arrival during moments of great challenge. There was no more difficult time than the Holocaust, when our ancestors prayed for a better day.

 

A tale is told that after the Holocaust ended, a Swiss journalist found a small cellar in Cologne, Germany where Jews hid from the Nazis.  On one of the walls, is a note, written into the pavement by those who stayed there: “I believe in the sun even when it’s not shining.  I believe in love even when I can’t feel it.  I believe in God even when God is silent.”[v]

 

It has been a difficult year, and the weeks and months ahead look bleak as well.  A lot of uncertainty, a lot unknown, a lot to worry and fret about.  Our ancestors always believed, even in times of difficulty.  They believed in God who would support and strengthen them.  They believe in the Messiah who would rescue them.  They believed in the sun, even when it was dark outside.  They believed in love, even when all they saw was hatred.

 

Your belief will be different than theirs, that’s ok.  But you need faith, too.  What do you believe?  What provides you strength and solace?  What helps you get up each day to make a difference? 

 

Ani Maamin.  I too believe.  I believe in a power that connects us to nature, to history, to one another.  I believe in myself, even when I don’t know the right answer or even when I make a mistake.  I believe in humanity, even with all of its failures, and fractures, even with all of its weaknesses, pettiness, and self-centeredness. But, most importantly, I believe in you.  I believe in your power, our collective power to make a difference.  For I know, that I have you, you have me, and we have each other.  For together, we say: Amen.



[i] http://www.alberteinsteinsite.com/quotes/einsteinquotes.html

[ii] Mishkan T’filah: A Reform Siddur, p. 165 (words by Ferdinand Isserman)

[iii] https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_1285394

[iv] Babylonian Talmud, Berachot 53b

[v] https://humanistseminarian.com/2021/04/04/i-believe-in-the-sun-part-v-the-source/

No comments:

Post a Comment