Thursday, July 12, 2018

The Spirituality of Being Outdoors




May it be my custom to go outdoors each day
Among the trees and grass,
Among all growing things,
And there may I be alone,
And enter into prayer,
To talk with the One to whom I belong.
-Rabbi Nachman of Bratzlav


As the Chasidic Rebbe, Rabbi Nachman of Bratzlav, taught hundreds of years ago, there is something uniquely spiritual about being outdoors.  Our sages even remind us that every synagogue is required to have at least one window so that we can look out into the world that surrounds us.  This window prevents us from being blind to the world of nature and to the world that exists outside the synagogue walls.  What better way to fulfill this commandment than by opening our doors and heading outside?

That’s why this summer, at my congregation, Bolton Street Synagogue, we are trying something new!  Yes, Bolton Street Synagogue has always had our services outside in the Meadow, both at Rosh Hashanah and at Shabbat, for many years.  Yet, this summer it will be different!  We will be joining together in our Meadow every Friday evening during the months of July and August.  This will, of course, be weather permitting.  It's important to make sure that everyone is comfortable and safe.  My hope is that the weather will hold up and we can be together in the Meadow for many of the services this summer.

Personally, I love praying outdoors.  I find myself closer to the Holy One when I watch the sun set in the distance, hear the birds chirp, and feel the wind upon my shoulders.  There is something uniquely spiritual that can’t be found in any indoor building, even our beautiful sanctuary.  Plus, there is an informality about being outside.  I love watching people come to services in t-shirts and shorts with flip flops and sandals! As the Rebbe teaches, may we frolic outside with the trees, the animals, and with each other.  May we enter into prayer and gain something greater than ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment