Thursday, June 22, 2017

Lech Lecha: Our Journey Together



Beginning on July 1st, I'll become the next rabbi at Bolton Street Synagogue in Baltimore, Maryland.  Below are the words I shared as part of the Summer Chaverim, the Summer Bulletin at the congregation.  I'm excited about the next phase of my rabbinate and our upcoming move to Baltimore.  Enjoy!


Here I sit, surrounded by a sea of boxes that beckon me.   I’ve just begun that arduous process of packing my clothes, dishes, and all of my son’s toys!  In only a few weeks, the moving truck will arrive and bring all of our worldly possessions from Long Island to Baltimore.  It’s a challenging, yet exciting moment, to embark upon this new journey from the place I’ve known to the place I wish to become.

I am keenly aware of Abraham’s first encounter with God.  “Lech Lecha: Go forth to the Land that I will show you!”  God calls Abraham to journey forth to a new place, a new life, a new spiritual experience.  My journey is a similar one.  I’m not just moving to a new city, I’ve taken the first steps to become Bolton Street Synagogue’s next Rabbi. 

My journey thus far has been an exciting one.  At the young age of ten, my teacher, Rabbi Edward Garsek, saw something in me and said, “You’ll be a great rabbi one day!”  Those first words continue to propel me and have brought me all the way to Baltimore! 

After graduating from the University of Michigan, I spent a couple years working as a Youth Director at Temple Emunah, a Conservative Synagogue outside Boston.  Afterwards, at the Hebrew Union College, the Reform Rabbinical Seminary, I spent my formative years learning, experiencing, and understanding what it truly means to be a rabbi.  Since my ordination in 2008, I’ve been honored to serve as an Assistant Rabbi at Scarsdale Synagogue and later as an Associate Rabbi at Temple Sinai of Roslyn.  Alongside me, on my life path, are my husband, Brian ten Siethoff, and our four year old son Caleb.  They are thrilled to be joining the BSS Family! 

As Abraham journeyed forth, he didn’t travel alone.  Beside him were his wife, Sarah, his nephew, Lot, and seventy souls.  I’m always struck by the Torah’s use of the word souls to describe the people that travelled alongside Abraham.  We are reminded that a spiritual journey is sacred and should never be taken alone.  It is through the power of community that we have the courage to take the first steps towards a new place, a new experience.  It is through the strength of community that we have the audacity to join together and create anew. 

As I begin this journey, I can’t help but think about all those that helped bridge this transition.  I’m in sincere gratitude for all who put in countless hours and late night meetings to build Bolton Street Synagogue’s next chapter.  Thank you to Harold Weisbaum, Paul Levine, and all the members of the rabbinic search committee for your hard word.  To Sharon Krevor-Weisbaum and all of the members of the transition committee for welcoming me so warmly.  To Russ Margolis, Melissa Zieve, and all of the members of the board for your leadership.  To Erin Felsen for your help and assistance.  And finally, to Rabbi John Franken, for your advice during these moments of transition.  I wish you ever greater strength in your journey forward.


On July 1st, I will officially begin my new position at Bolton Street Synagogue.  I am honored and humbled to become your next Rabbi.  Lech Lecha, together, may we go forth to ever greater spiritual heights.

No comments:

Post a Comment